Please submit requests to exercise your privacy rights here
This Privacy Statement describes how Seagate Technology LLC or any parent, subsidiary or affiliate controlled by, under common control with, or controlling Seagate Technology LLC, including but not limited to affiliates operating under the LaCie name or brand, (collectively, “Seagate” or “we” or “us”) collects, uses, and shares information through the Seagate websites, which include but are not limited to Seagate.com, LaCie.com and their sub-domains (each a “Site”), and the Seagate services, products, software and software applications made available by us for use on or through computers and mobile devices (collectively, the “Offerings” under this Privacy Statement). Remember that your use of our Sites and Offerings is at all times subject to the applicable Terms and Conditions, which incorporate this Privacy Statement.
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual. We collect information through the Sites and Offerings such as:
- Site user name
- Postal address
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Profile picture
- Social media account ID
- IP address
- Your designated account settings
We collect and process these types of Personal Information to provide our services to you and as legally required. If you do not provide the information that we request, we may not be able to provide you with the full experiences of this Site and our Offerings, or may be prevented from complying with the applicable legal obligations.
Collection of Personal Information
We collect Personal Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through the Site and Offerings.
- We collect Personal Information through our Sites, e.g., when you register for an account, respond to forms, surveys, sweepstakes, contests or applications, and through the use of various Offerings or participation in programmes or services.
- Information You Provide.
- We may collect personal contact information (such as your name, email address, and telephone number) when you contact customer service, sign up for or purchase our Offerings.
- We may also collect Personal Information in connection with the return of products, warranty and product/consumer registration.
- From other Sources.
- We receive your Personal Information from other sources, such as publicly available databases and joint marketing partners, when they share the information with us. We may allow you to share information with third party social media sites, or use social media sites or other sites to create or connect to your account. Those social media sites may give us access to certain personal information stored by them (e.g., content viewed and information about the advertisements within the content you have been shown or may have clicked on, etc). You may control the personal information you allow us to have access to through the privacy settings on that third party site and the permissions you give us when you grant us access.
Please be aware if you disclose any Personal Information relating to other people to us or to our service providers in connection with the Site or Offerings, you represent that you have the permission to do so and to permit us to use the information in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
Use of Information
We use Personal Information:
- To provide the functionality of the Site and our Offerings and to fulfil your requests.
- To respond to your inquiries, fulfil your requests and provide you with related support.
- To send administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions and policies.
- To determine the appropriate language for your experience.
- We engage in these activities to manage our contractual relationship with you and/or to comply with a legal obligation.
- To provide you with marketing materials and to personalise your experience on the Site and our Offerings.
- With your consent, to send marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to you.
- To personalise your experience by presenting products and offers tailored to you, and to facilitate social sharing functionality.
- We engage in these activities either with your consent or for our legitimate business interests.
- To allow you to participate in sweepstakes and other promotions.
- To allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules containing information about how we use and disclose your Personal Information.
- We engage in these activities either with your consent or to manage our contractual relationship with you.
- To accomplish our business purposes and analyse information.
- To aggregate and/or anonymise Personal Information.
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products, enhancing, improving or modifying our Site and Offerings, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
- To use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels, diagnosing server problems and administering the Site and Offerings. We can also derive your approximate location from your IP address.
- We engage in these activities either to manage our contractual relationship with you, to comply with a legal obligation and/or based on our legitimate business interests.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We disclose Personal Information:
- To our affiliates including:
- Seagate Technology LLC – Located in the United States
- Seagate Singapore International Headquarters Pte. Ltd. – Located in Singapore
- Seagate Technology (Netherlands) B.V. – Located in the Netherlands
- Nippon Seagate Inc. – Located in Japan
- Seagate Cloud Systems, Inc. – Located in the United States
- Seagate Cloud Systems Japan Ltd – Located in Japan
- Seagate (Hangzhou) Data Recovery Services Co., Ltd – Located in China
- LaCie SAS – Located in France
- LaCie Ltd - Located in England
- LaCie Electronique D2, S.A. – Located in Spain
- for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement.
- To our third party service providers who provide services such as hardware repair and/or replacement, website hosting, data analysis, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing and other services.
- To third-party sponsors of sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions. We do not share Personal Information with unaffiliated third parties for those third parties’ own direct marketing purposes without your consent.
Personal information may be disclosed by you, through your profile on our Site or Offerings and other information or content you may post or disclose through the Site or Offerings in a public forum, or through your social media account.
- Please note that any information you post or disclose in areas such as a community forum will become public and available to other users and the general public.
Other Uses and Disclosures
We also use and disclose your Personal Information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate:
- To comply with applicable law and regulations.
- This may include laws and regulations outside your country of residence.
- To respond to requests from public and government authorities or to cooperate with law enforcement.
- This may include authorities outside your country of residence.
- For other legal reasons.
- For example, to enforce our Terms of Service or other agreements with you; and
- To protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others.
- In connection with a sale or business transaction.
- We may use, disclose or transfer your information to a third party in the event of any reorganisation, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings). Such third parties may include, for example, an acquiring entity and its advisors.
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an identifiable individual.
- Browser and device information
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies
- Information collected through use of our devices and other Offerings, such as our mobile applications
- Demographic information and other information provided by you that does not reveal your specific identity
- Information that has been aggregated in a manner that it no longer reveals your specific identity
If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, then we may use and disclose it for the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information as detailed in this Policy.
Collection of Other Information
We and our service providers collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser or device.
- Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Mac), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version, and the name and version of the Site or Offering (such as the mobile application) you are using. We use this information to ensure that the Site and Offerings function properly.
- Through the use of our devices and other Offerings.
- For some of our consumer drives, we may collect drive performance information and general, statistical information about how you use our drives. We only collect this information if you download software Offerings and agree to our Terms and Conditions, End User Licence Agreement and this privacy statement. We may also collect aggregate metadata concerning your files. We will use this aggregate data to enhance our products and services, and to improve our general marketing efforts related to these Offerings. We may aggregate data to describe the use of this Site and/or our Offerings to our existing or potential business partners, sponsors, advertisers or other third parties, or in response to a government request.
- Cloud-based or Backup Data.
- If you use a Seagate cloud-based or backup service Offering, the information from your device and/or account that you choose to back up may be sent to Seagate or Seagate service providers for the purposes of storing this information for you, and we may use this information in order to facilitate or improve the use, remote access and restoration of that data on your device through the Offerings provided. For more information on our specific Offerings with cloud-based features, please review our supplemental statements found under Product Offerings below.
- Using cookies and similar technologies.
- We collect information automatically through your browser or device, through your use of the Site and Offerings, using cookies and similar technologies. Please refer to our Cookie Statement for additional information about these practices.
- Google Analytics.
- Google ReCaptcha.
- IP address.
- Your IP address is automatically assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider. An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Site(s) and/or Offerings, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. Collecting IP addresses is standard practice and is done automatically by many websites, applications and other services. We use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels, diagnosing server problems and administering the Site(s) and Offerings. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP address.
Uses and Disclosures of Other Information
In some instances, we combine Other Information with Personal Information. If we do, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
Seagate advertises on pages within our Sites and Offerings and on other websites not affiliated with Seagate. We contract with advertising service providers who serve advertising to you through the use of technologies, such as cookies and web beacons.
We use advertising service providers to help us determine which of our advertisements are most likely to be of interest to you. These advertising service providers may use behavioural information, such as how you navigate our Sites or Offerings, to provide relevant advertisements to you while you are using our Sites and/or Offerings.
We also contract with advertising companies to advertise our Offerings on websites not affiliated with Seagate. If you click on one of our ads, you link to the third party website that offers the advertised account or Offerings. These adverts may contain cookies that allow tracking of your response to our advertisements. These technologies, along with information the advertising companies collect about your online use, are used to recognise you across the devices you use, such as a mobile phone or a laptop.
If you would like more information about this practice, and to learn how to opt out of it in desktop and mobile browsers on the particular device on which you are accessing this Privacy Statement, please visit http://optout.aboutads.info/#/ and http://optout.networkadvertising.org/#/. In order for the opt-outs to work on your computer, your browser must be set to accept cookies. If you delete cookies or access the Site or Offering from a different device, you will need to opt-out again. You may download the AppChoices app at www.aboutads.info/appchoices to opt out in mobile applications. Please note that opting out of advertisement targeting does not opt you out from receiving general advertising.
Do Not Track
Our Offerings do not support “Do Not Track” requests at present.
THIRD PARTY SERVICES
This Privacy Statement does not address, and we are not responsible for, the privacy, information or other practices of any third parties, including any third party operating any website or service to which the Sites or Offerings link. The inclusion of a link on the Sites or Offerings does not imply endorsement of the linked site or service by us or by our affiliates.
In addition, we are not responsible for the information collection, use, disclosure, or security policies or practices of any independent third party social media platform provider, app developer, app provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider, device manufacturer, or other organisation, including with respect to any Personal Information you disclose to other organisations through or in connection with the Sites or Offerings, such as by using third-party messaging services linked or integrated through the Sites or Offerings.
We have reasonable security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. Please be advised, however, that while we strive to protect your information, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you disclose or transmit to us online and cannot be responsible for the theft, destruction, or inadvertent disclosure of your information. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contact Us” section below.
CHOICES AND ACCESS
Your choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information
You may opt-out from:
- Receiving electronic communications from us. If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us, you may opt-out by either notifying us in accordance with the “Contact Us” section below or by clicking on the “Unsubscribe” link found in our marketing emails. You may also manage your email preferences using our customer preferences centre at http://e.seagate.com/customer-preference-center. We will comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages.
How you can exercise your rights
If you would like to request to access, correct, update, object, restrict or delete your Personal Information, or if you would like to request to receive an electronic copy of Personal Information that you have previously provided to us for purposes of transmitting it to another company (to the extent this right to data portability is provided to you by applicable law), or if you would like to withdraw your consent where we rely on your consent for collection, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information, or to object the automatic decision making, or object to the processing of your publicly disclosed information, you may send us your request through this form. If you are a close relative of a deceased, to the extent provided under applicable law, you may request to access, correct, update, receive a copy or delete the deceased’s information.
We will respond to your request within thirty (30) days or as soon as reasonably practicable, and in accordance with applicable law.
In your request, please make clear relevant details, for example, what Personal Information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your Personal Information removed from our database, or what limitations you would like to put on our use of your Personal Information. Please do not include more Personal Information than the form requires. For your protection, we will verify your identity before processing your request. When you are a close relative of a deceased and are requesting to access, correct, update, receive a copy, or delete the deceased’s information, we may need to verify your identity and the relationship between you and the deceased.
Please note that we may retain certain and limited information about your request for record-keeping purposes, to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a change or deletion, for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims, for our compliance with applicable laws and regulations, and/or as otherwise required by law.
We will retain your Personal Information for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was obtained.
The criteria used to determine our retention periods include: (i) the length of time we have an ongoing relationship with you and provide the Site or Offerings to you (for example, for as long as you have an account with us or keep using the Site or Offerings); (ii) whether there is a legal or business obligation to which we are subject (for example, certain laws require us to keep records of your transactions for a certain period of time before we can delete them); or (iii) whether retention is advisable in light of our legal position (such as in regard to applicable statutes of limitations regulatory investigations, or other legal matters).
USE OF SITE AND OFFERINGS BY MINORS
This Site and our Offerings are not directed toward individuals under the age of majority in the country in which they reside. We do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under 18.
JURISDICTION AND CROSS-BORDER TRANSFER
Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers. Please be aware that, when you use the Site or Offerings, we transfer information, through the course of regular business operations, to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country or that may not be considered adequate by your country of residence. When we transfer your Personal Information outside your country of residence, we may put in place appropriate safeguards in accordance with our legal obligations to ensure your Personal Information is adequately protected irrespective of the country to which it is transferred. In certain circumstances, courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies or security authorities in those other countries may be entitled to access your Personal Information.
Some countries are recognised by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of data protection according to European Economic Area (“EEA”) standards (the full list of these countries is available here). For transfers from the EEA to countries not considered adequate by the European Commission, we have put in place adequate measures, such as standard contractual clauses adopted by the European Commission, to protect your Personal Information.
If you are a resident in China, we may only transfer your personal information when we have one or more legal basis, such as performance of contract, or compliance with legal obligations. For transfer from China to other countries or areas, we will take measures such as standard contractual clauses adopted by the Cyberspace Administration of China. You may also request for us to provide you information about your personal information transfers, in accordance with applicable law.
You may request a copy of these measures by contacting us as described in the “Contact Us” section below.
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., national insurance numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs (such as doctrinal or philosophical beliefs), sexual behaviour, health, disability, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background, personal financial account data, tracking trace data or geolocation data, data of minors under age of 14, or trade union membership) or any other information which may affect you in the same manner as prescribed by applicable law on or through the Site or otherwise to us.
For additional information regarding specific offerings, select from the list:
- Seagate-Lyve Solutions
- Network Attached Storage and Surveillance Drives
- LaCie Collective
- Seagate Recovery Services
- Seagate Mobile Applications
If you are a California resident, please find additional information regarding your rights and our collection, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information, in our California Consumer Privacy Act Notice.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
Seagate may update this Privacy Statement from time to time. If so, we will post our updated Privacy Statement on our Site and/or Offerings along with a change notice on the Site and/or Offerings prior to a material change. Where applicable and required by applicable law, we may ask for your consent to any change where your consent is needed. The “Last Updated” legend at the bottom of this Privacy Statement indicates when this Privacy Statement was last revised. We may also send registered users of our Site and/or Offerings a notice that this Privacy Statement has been materially changed. Seagate encourages you to review this Privacy Statement regularly for any changes. Any changes will become effective when we post the revised Privacy Statement on the Site and/or Offerings, and your use of the Site and/or Offerings following these changes means that you accept the revised Privacy Statement.
Seagate Technology LLC or an affiliate controlled by, under common control with, or controlling Seagate Technology LLC, including but not limited to affiliates operating under the LaCie name or brand is located at
Seagate Technology LLC
47488 Kato Road
Fremont, CA 94538
If you would like to exercise your privacy rights, please submit your request here. We will respond to your request consistent with applicable law.
If you have questions about this Privacy Statement, please contact our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Seagate Technology LLC
Attn: Legal Department – Privacy
47488 Kato Road
Fremont, CA 94538
If you live in Germany, you may contact our Data Protection Officer in Germany:
Dr. Sebastian Kraska
You may lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority competent for your country or region, or where an alleged infringement of applicable data protection law occurs. Please click here for contact information for such authorities in the EEA.
We will also keep prior versions of this Privacy Statement in an archive for your review here:
- Seagate Privacy Statement - 31/10/2021 (PDF)
- Seagate Privacy Statement - 06/05/2021 (PDF)
- Seagate Privacy Statement - 27/04/2020 (PDF)
- Seagate Privacy Statement - 31/07/2019 (PDF)
- Seagate Privacy Statement - 10/12/2017 (PDF)
- Seagate Privacy Statement - 05/05/2017 (PDF)
- Seagate Privacy Statement - 03/08/2015 (PDF)
- Seagate Privacy Statement - 07/05/2015 (PDF)
- Seagate Privacy Statement - 10/04/2012 (PDF)
- Seagate Privacy Statement - 29/03/2007 (PDF)
LAST UPDATED: November 1, 2021